Monday, February 5, 2018

The Newspaper Paywall



I gave up dodging paywalls, cuz I wanted to support
Journalists both great and small and not their income thwart.
So now I have subscriptions to their digital details,
But cyber presentation can send me right off the rails!


Just as I’m about to read a story of intrigue,
A platform jumps before me for an item I don’t need.
Searching for that little ‘x’ to close the window box,
I somehow manage to wind up way off in the boondocks.


And when I manage to get back to what I want to read,
A video pops up with such alarming noisy speed.
Then they want a survey or insist on showing graphs
That on my laptop screen look more like stumbling giraffes.


I used to spill my orange juice upon my paper, which
Didn’t cause a problem, but when I had made the switch
To online news I found out that my keyboard would get stuck
From just a little citrus juice no matter how I struck.


I face a keen dilemma -- do I stick with online news
So I can read the writers that espouse such noble views?
Or do I take the easy way, retreating to my den --
Where I can watch the dreck they serve on Fox or CNN?


******************************************

from the lumber room:

My bank has gone missing for days.
It’s not where I left it always.
I guess it’s a crime
for nickel and dime
To be all the income I raise.

The crooks are transparent these days;
Their internet heists do amaze.
But cops and their stats
Keep it under their hats --

They’d rather have nothing but praise.


No comments:

Post a Comment