Friday, March 30, 2018

From the Wall Street Journal. Friday March 30. 2018.




But when they get the chance, grandmas and grandpas still do
what they’ve done across the ages—turning the attention
of children to the very important business of telling
stories and singing songs.


I tell the grandkids stories -- never mind if they are true;
The purpose of my narrative is giving broader view
To cousin Robert’s follies or aunt Ruby’s failed romance,
And why their uncle Jimmy wore a dress instead of pants.


Of course I brag a little when it comes to my exploits;
How I joined the circus and then slew some mean dacoits.
My memory grows bolder as I embellish history;
What’s the use of lifeless branches on the fam’ly tree?


I figure that my grandkids will be sick of boring rote
Teachers are determined to stuff down their little throat.
So I give them all the fantasy and nonsense that they crave
Before my magic carpet whisks me down into the grave . . .




In some cases, government officials curb grazing to protect
natural resources from damage caused by cattle, and create
preserves for threatened species. In others, officials close land
to ranchers to give more access to the public for hiking and
other activities which fuel the fast-growing recreation industry.

Pardner, lemme tell you what; these prairie ranges shrink
Whenever jumped up dudes out East begin to plot and think.
Them varmints out in Washington think cows are critters best
Penned up like some desperadoes while they hold inquest.

Of course they eat up all the grass, and stir up all the mud;
But that don’t mean they’re causing global warming no way, bud!
If you folks want your hamburgers and steaks at decent price
You gotta let them doggies roam, not cage ‘em up like mice!

And why the sam hill do they close my water holes today,
Just so tourists can come out and fish and swim and play?
I’ve seen the elephant, old pal, and so I will vamoose;
You can get your meat, like oil, from some guy in burnoose!

No comments:

Post a Comment