Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Rumors of War



. . . and in wars and rumors of wars I saw many
generations pass away.
First Nephi. Chapter Twelve. Verse 21.


Scattered round the world as pawns to palsied heads of state,
Soldiers spread the gospel of their military hate.
So many wars and whispers run amok in these last days
That nations dash around like rats inside a twisting maze.


Even my own country, which I love with all my heart,
Is bound to war and menace till all judgement will depart.
My children and their offspring must grow up, it seems to me,
Never knowing peaceful coexistence that’s carefree.


The answer is not arsenals that burst with guns and bombs,
Nor policies that sweep away our fears with dire pogroms.
To place each life beneath the wing of Jesus, Prince of Peace,
Is the only way to make all killing warfare cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment