Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Comic Books


Thanos destroyed half of all existence and all talk of Marvel Studios movies never having villains that matter. The long wait to see the wielding of the Infinity Gauntlet lived up to the hype. Even among the heroes that survived, there’s no promise that they’ll make it out of May’s follow-up, “Avengers: End Game.”
by David Betancourt for the Washington Post 


I used to hide my comic books beneath the bed at night;
otherwise my parents would put up a dreadful fight.
They thought that reading Superman or Archie was a waste
of time and soon or later would turn all my wits to paste.
Batman was a hoodlum and the Justice League a ruse
to keep me up so late at night that when at school I'd snooze.
Filled with fantasy and schlock, they said I'd be a bum
pumping gas forever while I chewed on bubblegum.
Classics Illustrated they did give me in despair --
hoping it would make of me another sage Voltaire.
And when at last I cast aside the comic book, what joy
they had (although they never knew it was to read Playboy.)
Poor mom and dad would levitate if they could see the cash
that movies make when Hulk or Wolverine begin to smash.
They'll never make a blockbuster with Tolstoy or Balzac --
but film a bug-eyed mutant and there's money by the sack!


No comments:

Post a Comment