Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Restaurant Review: Beto's Mexican Food, of Provo.


At 8:35 a.m. this morning the power went out all over Provo. At the time I was at the Provo Rec Center, taking a deep water aquatic aerobics class. The life guards immediately started tweedling on their shrill whistles to get us out of the pool and huddled by the exit doors. 
It was such an apocalyptic hub-bub that I immediately thought to myself: If this is my last day on earth, what would I like to eat for brunch? Since I'd skipped breakfast.
And, of course, the answer was: Huevos Rancheros. What else? 
So I had my old pal Bruce Young drop me off at Beto's across the street from Deseret Industries on State Street in Provo. 


Their computerized menu sign was still down from the power outage, so I didn't see the price for Huevos Rancheros when I ordered them. I soon found out. $9.59, plus $2.09 for a medium fountain drink. And tax was 92-cents. I should have gotten a breakfast burrito instead; most of 'em are only $5.99. Oh well, cuandos vives aprendes
Their salsa bar, though, is chock-a-block with a huge variety of salsa:
Here's just a partial list:  
  • Arbol
  • Habenero
  • Macha
  • Serrano
  • Nortena
  • Tropico
  • Ranchera
  • Pina
  • Mango
  • Chimole
  • Tomitillo Guacamole
  • Jalapeno Cilantro
  • Taquerda verde
  • Taquerda rojo
And there were half a dozen others with no labels on them. I sampled them all. My favorite, hands down, is the macha -- with a very deep smokey tang and an afterburn that won't quit.


There was nothing wrong with my Huevos Rancheros -- but there was nothing spectacular about them either. The carne asada was a bit rubbery, but never gristly. For 9.59 I was hoping for some brillar


(Cue the Walter Brennan voice) And they had one of them new-fangled fountain drink dispensers. Took me a month of Sundays to figure out how to make the dad-blasted do-dad work!

I'm giving Beto's 2.5 burps on a scale of one to four. I may raise that rating after going back to sample a breakfast burrito in the near future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment