Sunday, December 6, 2020

Hit with a salt shaker

 



When I asked the Venerable Sashi,
on the island of Hondo,
during the Plum Blossom Festival,
'Who is the Buddha?'
he asked me for a plum branch
and then whipped me with it.
And so I was enlightened.

But later in life I married
and wandered from the Pure Land
as I became distracted with 
my household.
One morning I asked my wife
'Is there any marmalade left?'
The blessed woman hit me 
with the salt shaker, and my
vision was restored.

Then I worked with the lilies
of the field and fowls on the ground
to provide beauty and sustenance
to the world,
which led me to a listical existence,
a grasping of names,
craving more details,
that was frustrating and very limiting.

At last I fled back to the island of Hondo,
to the Venerable Sashi.
He held up his hand to me,
with the fingers spread apart,
and said
"Point to what is between my fingers."
I threw a custard pie at his outstretched hand.
And we both knew a new enlightenment
as we dined on the smashed pastry
with our chopsticks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment