Sunday, December 27, 2020

Prose Poem: The Intermeddlers.

 





I saw the quail hurry down the alley

from my patio window.

They brought the smell of cedar.

Of lively powdery blue berries

that turned brown and cracked

when I gently placed them 

in my riven ceramic bowl.


I collected them off the cedar

on my long walks to and from.

Hearing the quail's faltering cry.

With the sunset dragging down

the mountains into dust at my feet.


Where the quail go is no concern of mine.

But I feel sorry they must hurry.

What can a quail have that is worth

hurrying to? says I --

a man sitting in a faded recliner who 

is done hurrying to anything.


When I was younger I did more 

hurrying away from than hurrying to.

Straying from rather than headed to.

And my friends and the wife of my

youth know this well

and they want to talk and talk and talk

about it with me.

The intermeddlers.


They would take a snail out of 

its shell to improve its life.

Their helping hand pinches.

Their breath is stale and self righteous.

Strafing my comfort zone.

Please go away, Yenta.

Leave me trace my dreams

with Pixy Stix.



No comments:

Post a Comment