Thursday, February 23, 2023

Prose Poem: Hiroko Tabuchi is passionate about composting.

 


As I walked down the street, keeping myself to myself, I nonchalantly spit out a sunflower hull into the gutter.  Snacking on salted sunflower seeds was my passion.  I figure the discarded shells do no harm where they land, since they are completely biodegradable.  Then imagine my astoundment when a woman rose up from behind a Japanese andromeda, shaking her forefinger at me like a baton.  I decided she must be 'tetched,' as we say back in Iowa, and continued my stroll unheedingly.  But she jumped over the shrub to follow me.  I turned to give her a stern look, hoping to discourage whatever shenanigan she had in mind. Then I saw her t-shirt.  It read: "Captain Hiroko Tabuchi. Composting Constable."  Uh-oh, I said to myself.  This day is now officially off the Mercator projection.  I gave her a weak smile.  Gave her a limp wave.  And began to sweat like a kinkajou.  She strode up to me but before she could speak I took the initiative.  "Why are you wearing a mustache?" I asked her.  She looked startled as she felt her upper lip.  "I have no mustache" she replied, bewildered. "Ah" I riposted, "but you were thinking of getting one -- right?"  "Well, no, not really" she said.  "Could it be the New York Times does not allow its female writers to have mustaches?" I sneered at her, feeling rather cocky.  Now things were going my way.  Her look of bewilderment turned to sadness.  This alarmed me.  "My father had a fine mustache" she told me quietly.  "And so did my cousin."  "Uh, tell me about composting" I begged her.  Her feelings were shattered because of my aggressive behavior.  I had bullied a member of the Fourth Estate.  And I felt like a cad.  But she just slowly shook her head while walking off into the gloaming.  As she shuffled away, head bowed in sorrow, I vowed then and there to never abuse a writer again -- no matter how many shrubs they jumped up from.  And I would give up sunflower seeds.  My breath already smelled like ammonium nitrate anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment