Thursday, February 23, 2023

Prose Poem: Touring Nova Scotia with Rachel Feintzeig.

 


Chiseling an identity takes hard work.  Determination. And plenty of moxie.  I should know.  I've been carving out new identities since the early 1980's.  With varying success.  Okay.  With no success.  Today I still have no identity whatsoever.  Which is why a Wall Street Journal reporter interviewed me.  She was fascinated to discover someone who couldn't craft a personality.  I don't know how she found out about me.  Since I make no impression at work or outside of work. I'm a cipher.  A non-entity.  Bupkis on a stick.  But this Rachel Feintzeig person found me sitting on a park bench, reading Tristram Shandy.  Okay. I wasn't reading some old English novel.  I was looking at a Vermont Country Store catalog.  She sits down next to me.  Gives me her business card.  And starts to grill me.  At first I resented her questions.  But then she began giving me Jolly Rancher hard candies.  I especially like the watermelon flavored ones.  And we got on like a house afire.  When she was done interviewing me she shook my hand.  I gave her back her business card.  I'm really into recycling.  She walked away.  And Nova Scotia became a little bit more real.

 

**********************************************

 

Haiku:

the black ice glistens

on the ribbons that lead to

lengthy coffee breaks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment