Thursday, February 9, 2023

Prose Poem: Penelope Green hits pay dirt.

 


I sell treasure maps.

And they're not too expensive.

People get a kick out of them,

thinking they might hit paydirt.

 

Of course the maps are worthless doodles.

They won't even locate the nearest KFC.

But they're colorful, filled with place names

like: 'Dead Man's Hole' and 'Croaker's Corner.'

 

One day this gal named Penelope Green

stops at my little kiosk at Times Square.

Says she's a reporter for

the New York Times.

 

She wants to buy a treasure map.

But I smell something fishy.

So I tell her I only sells maps

of Manhattan. Nothing else.

 

She slides a 100 Grand candy bar

across the counter towards me.

What could I do?

I give her one of the treasure maps.

 

I didn't think anything more

about it.

Everyone in Zanesville, Ohio,

suddenly decided to move to New York.

 

So business was brisk.

Nice thing about Ohio people

is they never complain.

Then I open the newspaper.

 

There on Page One it says

"NYT Reporter Strikes Pay Dirt!"

 She dug up a mess of pirate gold

in Hoboken. Of all places.


Didn't say anything about my map.

Maybe she found it some other way.

With a metal detector. Maybe.

But I'll tell you this much --


If any other reporter ever

saunters up to my kiosk

to buy a treasure map

I'm gonna ask for a 50/50 split.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment