Saturday, February 11, 2023

Prose Poem: Peter Baker turns to brick making

 


There's a brickyard outside

of Reston, Virginia.

I go there sometimes to watch

the workers make bricks by hand.

 

They slosh the red clay mud

around in rough wooden troughs

before pouring it from buckets 

into wooden molds that dry 

in the sun. For many weeks.


They do peaceful, quiet, steady work.

Mostly older men in faded overalls.

But one day there was a man

in a grey pinstripe business suit.

Sloshing the clay mud around.


His face was round and contented.

I decided he must be a famous person.

Who gave up the hurly-burly of fame

to make red clay bricks

to build homes and libraries

and courthouses.


"Do brick makers get paid well?"

I asked the guy loitering next to me.

"I suppose so" he replied.

"They all drive Volvos."


At the end of the work day

I followed the man in the suit

to his Volvo and then followed

him home.

Past fields of bright green grass

that looked spray-painted.

He pulled up a gravel drive

to a wonderful old house

hidden amidst chinaberry trees.


I pushed the buzzer at the gate.

"Who lives here?" I demanded.

"Peter Baker" came the scratchy reply.

"The reporter? Why is he making bricks?"

I asked in confusion.

"He wants closure"

replied a different voice,

equally tinny and scratchy.


I got back in my car and drove away.

There were no clear answers here.

My curiosity bubbled over.

But I figured every person

has a right to their privacy

and I had a duty to mind

my own business. 


So I went home to look in a book

where I remembered reading

that Winston Churchill joined

the English bricklayers union 

but was ousted because of his

conservative views.

 

From which I concluded

that great men build alike.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment