Sunday, March 4, 2018

To labor with their hands




And it came to pass that I, Nephi,
did cause my people to be industrious,
and to labor with their hands.  2 Nephi. Chapter 5. Verse 17.

I rarely labor with my hands; they are a clumsy pair.
For carpentry or painting they do not possess much flair.
And in the garden, plucking weeds, quite often I mistake
Young and tender veggies for some weeds with my hard rake.


I’ve hauled around the furniture of friends and fam’ly till
My back is now a fertile field for ev’ry aspirin pill.
I’ve been on the assembly line; and worked the warehouse, too --
Until my feet are blistered and my hands turn black and blue.


I’m sorry, Brother Nephi, but I find it less a strain
To let my hands sit idly by and labor with my brain.
I honor those who toil amain to earn their daily bread,

Since if I had to do it I think by now I would be dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment