Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Prosperous China Says ‘Men Preferred,’ and Women Lose. (NYT)


(Dedicated to @amyquin)



the best year of my married life was when Amy went to work as a Special Ed teacher when we bought our house in Wichita.  I was sick of being fired from job after job for insubordination and lollygagging, so I told her I would stay home and she could go out and get a job.  and she did.  by golly, she did.  a good one, too, with health benefits and free school lunches. she had a classroom assistant.  she had it made in the shade.
meanwhile I stayed home to watch the kids, cook, clean, and exchange banalities with the neighbors about crab grass.  I took a great deal of pride in hanging up line upon line of cloth diapers to dry in the rude Kansas sun.  Amy took the car to work, so I never went anywhere during the day with the kids -- we stayed home and found garter snakes under the porch and they helped me pound flour and eggs into a lumpy mess we called spitzen, for dinner.  our house had no basement, so we looked for rainbows and not tornadoes.
but then one of the students bit Amy on the hand and she had to slap the kid's face to make him let go. Her classroom assistant ratted her out to the principal.  there was an inquiry.  Amy lost her job.  we became itinerant tinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment