Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert kicks off Days of '47 with cattle drive on Capitol Hill. (Deseret News)




try herding kids, Governor.  that's something that will challenge your temper, your vocabulary, and your faith in humanity.  I took six of my kids on the bus once to get a heating voucher in the middle of winter.  there was no one I could leave them with.  I fumbled with a handful of change and balled up dollar bills -- exact change only, you know; public transportation hasn't made change for anyone since before peanut butter met jelly.  the kids formed a swarm to take over all the empty seats, surging in like the tide at the Bay of Fundy. just as I lassoed one into a seat, another one would break loose and head for the tall timber.  by the time we got to where we were going I had lost most of the utility bills I had to bring along to show to the clerk. they had been trampled underneath the stampede.  she refused to give me a voucher.
now here's the strange thing; on the bus ride back home those same long horned kids were as sedate as granite.  wouldn't move a muscle or let out a whine.  I never could figure that out.  if you can explain it to me, you certainly deserve to be Governor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment