Monday, July 19, 2021

Prose Poem: There I was, minding my own business. (Dedicated to Hannah Knowles of the Washington Post.)

 



There I was,
minding my own business.
When nothing 
absolutely nothing
happened.
I'd been standing around,
minding my own business,
all day.
Didn't even take a 
bathroom break.
Just standing there,
not bothering anyone.
No eye contact with anyone.
Not a care in the world.
And nothing happened.
You can imagine my disappointment.
Or maybe you can't.
When you stand around
minding your own business
you have a right to expect
something sinister or foolish
or puzzling to
happen to you.
That's why people
stand around
minding their own business;
this is a well-understood
social convention:
An innocent man caught up
in a conspiracy
not of his own making.
But I minded my own business
in vain.
I went home without a 
bullet hole in my coat.
Without a note slipped
into my pocket.
Without being kidnapped,
arrested, or given a briefcase
with half a million dollars
in it.
Not even a trace
of radium dust
on my jacket.
I had a glass of warm milk
and went to bed.
And decided:
Tomorrow I will mind
someone else's business,
probably my brother's business,
and see what happens.
If he turns out to be an
international playboy
who turns into a werewolf
and robs banks during the 
full moon
I will give up Netflix
for Lent.


No comments:

Post a Comment