Monday, July 26, 2021

Prose Poem: The Gulf of Thailand.

 


As a foolish and scared

middle aged man

fleeing heavy fees

for a failed marriage

I washed up on the beach

in Ban Phe.

Sure, I was a coward;

most men are

when it comes to money.

Rather than face the music

I faced the brightness of wild

cloud wrack over 

the Gulf of Thailand.

Taught a little English.

Ate a lot of shrimp fried rice

on banana leaves.

Knew a Thai woman my age

who drank her beer with ice in it.

She owned a black Toyota truck.

Imagined my kids

come to visit me 

on my coconut plantation.

I rented a bungalow

with a yard full of soursop trees

and a fish pond;

the spirit house was next to

the privy.

Toyota truck woman

hung orchids everywhere --

ten baht apiece. 

I felt whole on the surface;

underneath were my limestone caverns,

ready to collapse into sink holes

at the drop of a wide brimmed hat --

which you needed in that climate.

When my dreams began to fill with snow

I let my passport lapse

and borrowed money to go back.

Come back to canned mangoes.

Crumpled hundred baht notes

I mailed to my kids --

the letters were returned

'Address Unknown.'

And tall stringy bamboo plants

in the waiting rooms of government

agencies, 

waiting for them to take away . . . 

well, everything.

But I eventually found out

when they take away everything

from you

you grow new shoots

like the bamboo.

Although you're still

hollow

inside.


********************

Theodore Freedman, of Camden NJ, analyzed the above poem thus:

"That was your best work my old friend. Your best work because I heard how honest and real this time was for you and how you were filled up and empty at the same time.  The Buddhists would aver that the empty space in you is the good part, the useful part. A coffee cup is only useful because of the empty space inside." 



2 comments:

  1. I like this one, but would like a follow-on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is exceptionally good, both in content and style -- and much more importantly (though related) in spirit, feeling, and deep truthfulness.

    One thing I haven't quite figured out -- the lines: "I let my passport lapse / and borrowed money to come back." What was the consequence of letting your passport lapse? Did this happen in Thailand? Whither did you intend to "come back"? If to Thailand, this implies you left Thailand. When, how, why?

    ReplyDelete