Thursday, June 22, 2017

A little loafing




When the old Ringling clown Swede Johnson was told by his doctor to hang up his orange fright wig and baggy pants and take it easy, he told the medico "If I can't make people laugh anymore what the hell good am I?" As my own osteoarthritis has progressed and robbed me of my slapstick abilities, I, too, have wondered the same thing. But in my case I have been blessed to discover a second career as a humor writer. So I can still bring out a few grins here and there -- thanks to the Internet.

But writing humor is not easy -- and, in my case, not always successful. It takes a lot of woolgathering, and sometimes the results are not all that good. So I wonder if I'm wasting my time, and the time of those kind hearts and gentle people who read my stuff.

Reading in a religious study manual the other day, I came across a quote that heartened me and reassured me that the pursuit of laughter, in any form, is not a sin or a vice. I'd like to share it with you here, along with my poetic response:


Gordon B. Hinckley


I’m glad the prophets understand my need for deep repose.
It takes a heap of dreaminess to write a little prose.
To read and nap and fry an egg, then look up at the sky --
Is not the vice of slothfulness, but helps my spirit fly.
Afflicted with the vision that the world deserves a smile,
I look for quiet whimsy to cheer up the second mile.
So if my foolish impulse plants a grin upon your face,
I’m hoping God accepts my immobility with grace.  


Gordon B. Hinckley



****************************************************************

Project title:  “What I Saw at the Circus”
Work in all mediums accepted.
Deadline:  December 29, 2017
There is no entry fee
All submissions become the property of the Provo Museum of Mail Art
All submissions will be on display at the Provo Museum of Mail Art for
approximately eight weeks after being received.
Please send electronic submissions to torkythai911@gmail.com
Please mail submissions to:
The Provo Museum of Mail Art
℅ Tim Torkildson
650 West 100 North  #115

Provo Utah 84601  USA

No comments:

Post a Comment