Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Photo Essay: A Short Visit with Grand Children and some Durian

They arrived at 5:30 -- they were supposed to come visit me at 3. We were going to rearrange my pantry, work on a jigsaw puzzle, have hot dogs and beans for dinner, and then sample some Durian fruit I bought at the corner Asian Market. Three pieces of it cost me $11.50. But, like I say, they came at 5:30, and had to leave for a softball game at 6. Sarah's only explanation was: "Things got a little crazy, sorry." And you know what -- that's completely okay. Because I remember when she was my little girl,with a bunch of other little hellions, and being on time for anything was a distant ideal -- sort of like Camelot. So I fed 'em hot dogs and beans and I tasted the Durian in front of them out on the patio -- I bought the darn thing for grand son Ohen, cuz he heard me talking about it and begged me to get some for him to try. But one whiff and he refused to even look at it. The twerp. Then it was time for them to go. Here's a few of the photos I managed to snap, in-between serving them their supper and keeping them out of the jigsaw puzzle. This is family on the run. And it's still better than anything else in my world except maybe sex,  and anchovy pizza . . . 

Ah yes, gather round the goodie jar my little chickadees. I stock it with balloons, candy bars, packets of raisins, and bubble gum


My daughter is a texting addict, like all her generation. The only reason I forgive her for it is because she likes my stove top beans and puts lots of sauerkraut on her hot dog -- what a woman!


Grand daughter Brooke is all -- "What? Didn't we just get here? Why am I back in my #%**@* car seat again?" 



After I told grand son Ohen the possibly apocryphal story of how pink lemonade was invented at the circus, he decided not to have anymore. 



Grand son Lance gets this Jack Nicholson "The Shining" look sometimes -- I think he bears watching very closely . . . 


Ohen is already practicing his "Whatever!" face for when he becomes a teenager



I kinda thought I would take all night to create this photo essay, but it's only 6:35. I was hoping the kids would stay longer. I bought three boxes of TNT Pop Its for them to play with in the alley. I really don't know what to do with myself tonight. I don't want to work on the stupid jigsaw by myself. I tell myself I'm not sad about their so very short visit. I'll see them again soon -- I hope. But it's hard to know when, when I no longer have a car. But it's okay -- there's no resentment on my part. I gave Sarah the rest of the Durian to feed to her gonzo gourmet husband Jonny -- I swathed it in plastic wrap and then sealed it in a Glad freezer bag, assuring her it will not stink up her van.

It's going to stink up her van . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment