Friday, June 23, 2017

Photo Essay: Deseret Industries. Provo.

Deseret Industries was started in Salt Lake City in 1938. The Provo Store opened in 1959.


When I moved to Provo in 2013, one of the first places I visited was Deseret Industries on North State Street. Having traveled extensively with the circus for over thirty years it is my considered opinion that there are no better managed thrift stores in the United States. As a young impoverished clown at Ringling, I bought my clown costumes at thrift stores -- since I couldn't afford a professional seamstress.

                         The store in Provo is always busy, from 10 to 10, Monday thru Saturday. 



Some people are squeamish about wearing other people's clothes and shoes. Me, I haven't bought a new pair of pants or a shirt in the past 15 years. These slippers cost one dollar. 


Groupings are utilitarian


Knickknacks and do-dads abound. Nothing costs over a dollar.


Wedding dresses are next to the book section. I never leave DI without buying at least on book.


Most of the toys are broken or missing a piece. 


The only employee uniform is a bright red apron.


The place has a lot of 'found art,' if you're looking for it 


They used to have a large and intriguing selection of used neck ties, but no more. Why don't people donate old neck ties anymore? What else do they do with them?


This guy picked up several boom boxes, nothing else.


I bought one book -- a bio of Thomas Paine -- one small clown statuette, and one porcelain clown mask, suitable for hanging. The total was $3.50. As a non-profit, they aren't required to collect sales tax.


I missed my bus connection on State Street, so I killed another 20 minutes back inside DI. That's when I saw this glass clown statue in their Collectibles section. I bought it for ten dollars. Fine detail work.





*********************************************************

Project title:  “What I Saw at the Circus”
Work in all mediums accepted.
Deadline:  December 29, 2017
There is no entry fee
All submissions become the property of the Provo Museum of Mail Art
All submissions will be on display at the Provo Museum of Mail Art for
approximately eight weeks after being received.
Please send electronic submissions to torkythai911@gmail.com
Please mail submissions to:
The Provo Museum of Mail Art
℅ Tim Torkildson
650 West 100 North  #115
Provo Utah 84601  USA

No comments:

Post a Comment