Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Sea Lice and Salmon



In recent years, however, the wild salmon population has more than halved, partly because of the spread of sea lice, parasites that feast on the mucus and skin of the fish before moving on to the muscle and fat, making the fish vulnerable to infections and sometimes killing them. From the NYTimes.


I’m reading about sea lice and quite suddenly I find
My innards are reacting with a most peculiar grind.
This parasitic critter that infests the seven seas
Preys upon the salmon, which I used to eat with ease.

But when I see a photo of that sucking parasite
I start to wonder what I’m getting when some lox I bite.
And how about that sushi that the supermarket hawks --
How much of it might carry just a tad of sea louse pox?

I know I’m being squeamish, but at my age you’d be too --
If you thought a salmon steak might give you stomach flu.
So Norway I regret to say, although I am a fan
Of salmon, from now on I’ll stick with tuna in a can!

No comments:

Post a Comment