Monday, November 20, 2017

Which Brand Gets Boycotted Next?



As the national conversation has become increasingly fractured, major brands have repeatedly found themselves in the middle of these kinds of controversies, often stoked by posts or comments on Twitter and Facebook. Such social media pressure has prompted brands to pull advertisements from “The O’Reilly Factor” on Fox News . . . and from New York’s Public Theater’s production of “Shakespeare in the Park” . . . Last week, consumers shared videos of themselves destroying Keurig coffee machines after the company said it would pull ads from Sean Hannity’s Fox News program
From the NYTimes

Consumers like myself, who get in debt so easily,
Want to know which brands will fit my ideology.
I threw away my microwave because the fabricator
To my basic moral code would simply never cater.

And when I found my Hoover needed non-organic bags,
I set the thing on fire while I waved a dozen flags.
I’m polarized and simonized and ready to displace
My nose because I want to spite my contumacious face.

I’ll change my brand whene’er I please -- I get to pick and choose;
From deli meats to dental floss to trendy running shoes.
The only brand I cannot shake, no matter how I try,
Is located in Washington and likes to use hair dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment