Monday, November 6, 2017

The Paradise Papers




A trove of 13.4 million records exposes ties between Russia and U.S. President Donald Trump’s billionaire commerce secretary, the secret dealings of the chief fundraiser for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the offshore interests of the queen of England and more than 120 politicians around the world.
The leaked documents, dubbed the Paradise Papers, show how deeply the offshore financial system is entangled with the overlapping worlds of political players, private wealth and corporate giants, including Apple, Nike, Uber and other global companies that avoid taxes through increasingly imaginative bookkeeping maneuvers.  From ICIJ.    


I have a little tax haven upon a tropic isle

Which keeps my money secret with a deep abiding guile.
So I can hold my head up midst the riff raff when I say
“I’m an honest person and am glad to pay my way.”

The little people should be taxed because they have no clue
What their money in this wicked world can really do.
They like to waste it on such things as charity and rights
For the dispossessed as they pursue their tedious flights.

And even if a leak should show a bit of hocus pocus,
My dummy corporations will keep me fully out of focus.
Indeed, I wear so many fiscal masks it’s hard to know

Which are for my bankers and which are for public show!

No comments:

Post a Comment