Saturday, July 11, 2020

Zone of Avoidance.





I deal in voids and walls.
Been doing it since I was a kid
in my father's workshop.
He was a great old guy, my father.
He used to let me stretch out a common
ordinary void into a massive black hole
that would engulf worlds without number
and their suns. 
Then I'd let 'em snap back into shape,
disgorging hundreds of solar systems
like peas out of a peashooter. 

As for walls, or curtains as we sometimes called them;
my father was unparalleled at setting 'em up so they'd
mask the namby-pamby universes from the
Deep Terrors that lurk just beyond the next red giant.
If those Casper Milquetoast astronomers ever
really got a squint at what's out there behind the curtains
put up by my father long ago,
well,
let's just say,
they'd use String Theory to hang themselves.

 When father passed things on to me
I immediately set up a zone of avoidance --
sort of a neutral zone, or safety zone,
where the cosmos could gather together
and work things out without terror and
justice taking complete control.
I wanted to see if both sides of the wall
could create some pity and charity.
There was free bottled water 
and whole wheat snacks.

So far things have gone pretty slow.
I mean, I'm a patient guy -- I can wait for
an ocean to become a desert --
but progress has been dismal up to now.
I may have to hurry things up a bit.
Solar flares. Gamma radiation. That kind of thing.
But I never give up hope; I can't abide entropy.
Molecules may unravel along the way,
neutrinos may go astray,
but I'll tie it all up
in the end. 
Just like my old man would have done.


No comments:

Post a Comment