Friday, November 11, 2016

Restaurant Review: Guru Cafe. Provo, Utah.

Across from the Utah County Government building on Center Street is the Guru Cafe. This is the 'in' spot for downtown Provo-ites to graze. We got there right when they opened at 11:30, and the place was full up by 11: 50.

I took my daughter Sarah and two of her kids, Lance and Brooke. We had a half order of sweet potato fries, with a fry sauce that was deep and smoky; a kid's cheese quesadilla; a juice box; a salmon rice bowl; and 3 cheese tortellini, for a total of $34.18.

The sweet potato fries were good. The salmon rice bowl was a bit on the bland side. I needed to give it the old Tabasco once-over to feel like I was really eating something. But the 3 cheese tortellini was an outstanding dish. To quote my daughter Sarah:  "It tastes Italian and creamy." It had a good texture and a rich complex sauce that was not overwhelmed by the cheese. Lance and Brooke pretty much ignored the kid's quesadilla in favor of looking out the window at the passersby. I was not sorry to see them ignore the sweet potato fries; after a few bites of the tortellini my appetite came roaring back for the first time in over a week, and I began snarfing down the fries like nobody's business.


As I have mentioned before, I am on a quest for meals that don't just fill me with stodge but that bring a touch of happiness. This meal today did that.

I give this place Four Burps. The service is fast and friendly and the food will not even give an ulcer cause to complain. Twas a beautiful eating experience -- with my beautiful daughter and frisky grand kids. Life doesn't get much better than this, unless there's anchovies involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment