Thursday, November 10, 2016

Restaurant Review: Two Jacks Pizza. Provo, Utah

Two Jacks Pizza on Center Street is a blue collar, utilitarian noshery. It's narrow and noisy and comfortable.

I ordered their homemade lasagna, with a fountain drink. That set me back exactly $10.43. The meal came with a green salad, fresh out of the bag:

I ate it not because it tasted delicious, but because it's good for me. Dammit.
The lasagna is chewy and bland; I had to add a lot of red pepper flakes to give it some 'oomph'. It's hard to tell what's in it, besides lots of melted cheese.
The staff is prompt and cheerful:


I give this place Three Burps.

And now I'd like to step back to reconsider why I'm eating out so much, and blogging about it. I've come to the conclusion that most eating establishments in Provo serve strictly provender -- 'stodge', as travel writer Paul Theroux calls it. It's to fill up your gut, not comfort your soul. That being the case, I might just as well make myself a sandwich at home as to continue going out to places that only cater to my belly, and do that not very well.
After nearly 30 years of always eating out when on the road with the circus, I think I deserve something better when I go out to dinner nowadays.
So I'm reevaluating my restaurant review criteria. Can eating be anything more than a dull shoveling of fodder into my mouth? Especially when I eat by myself?


Well, at least my dessert was a satisfying success. I stopped by the grocery store for an Owyhee Idaho Spud -- "The Candy Bar That Makes Idaho Famous".  They're pretty good, so I bought a couple extra to put in my goody jar for the when the grand kids come over.


No comments:

Post a Comment