Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Restaurant Review: Mi Lindo Guadalajara. Provo, Utah.

I had great hopes for this restaurant, because I have some very happy memories of performing in Guadalajara with the Payasos Educados pantomime troupe forty-three years ago. We performed our silent program at the Opera House and got a standing ovation for both shows. The newspapers compared me to both Harpo Marx and Stan Laurel. We were preparing to take the troupe on an around-the-world tour. Good times . . .

The place is cater-corner from the Provo Rec Center, so I stopped by after my swim session at 10 this morning.  I immediately liked what I saw of their fresh salsa and toppings bar:

But when I started to speak English to the senora behind the counter she looked at me like I was a boil with legs. Nobody in the place could or would speak to me in English. So I pointed at some things that looked good.

What I got was three plain tamales and a skimpy serving of refried beans:

The tamales were fresh made and slightly sweet. The refried beans were pretty soupy. That, along with a fountain drink, set me back $8.99.

I'm giving this place One Burp. And that's just for the sake of the salsa and toppings bar, which is outstanding. It is not a Gringo-friendly place. I imagine if you speak Spanish you can get a decent meal. But all I got was indigestion. I left exactly one dollar for a tip.


Evitar este lugar como un perro rabioso.

No comments:

Post a Comment