Monday, November 21, 2016

Restaurant Review: Rocco's Big City Deli. Provo, Utah.


Rocco's is at One Center Street, so you can't miss it. It's down a flight of stairs, which I normally don't do anymore because of my osteoarthritis, but in the cause of good eating I decided to hazard the descent:

 Rocco's appears to be a guy's place. There was a preponderance of shaved heads and beards, and the several TV sets scattered around were all on ESPN. There are sports relicts and New York City memorabilia on the walls, and a low ceiling. An extensive collection of baseball cards is stuck to the walls.


I ordered the Reuben combo, with a six inch Mob City grinder, to go, for my dinner tonight (this is laundry day, so I don't feel like messing with the stove). It set me back $14.35.

The fries are thick and crisp, with Lawry's Seasoning Salt dashed on them. The Reuben was good, but not exceptional; I felt they skimped on the corned beef and sauerkraut. Like I said, I'm saving the grinder for tonight, so I can't tell you anything about it except that it looks and smells mighty good, filled with Italian cheeses and cold cuts. A cut above a Subway sandwich.
I'm giving the place Three Burps. I'd call it a rough and ready hangout for anyone out on the town looking for a full belly and not too choosy about what they fill it with. They open at 7 for breakfast, too. I can see doing breakfast there the next time Nathan Draper comes to town on a flying visit from Thailand; he always wants to spend the whole day with me but his wife always whittles it down to 2 hours in the morning -- so we'll hang out at Rocco's and feel like a couple of Wise Guys while we nosh bagels and lox.



No comments:

Post a Comment