Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Email from my Missionary Daughter in San Clemente




Hello all!

This week has been so awesome, I'm not sure that there are adequate words to describe it. I'm finally in California though! Yes, the weather here is absolutely perfect, so I'm sorry for all you North Dakota folk who have to deal with winter still, but remember it won't last forever! And neither will my time here in the mission, so I'm trying to make the most of it every day :) I got here on Tuesday and my mission president and his wife ( the Clarks) met us at the airport and took us straight to the Newport Beach Temple for some pictures. It has got to be the most beautiful spot for a temple I've ever seen. It reminded me instantly of the Garden of Eden, because of all the luscious plants and the gorgeous setting sun hitting the temple just right. The temple itself looks like one of those old mission buildings that you see in Westerns sometimes haha. It's all quite beautiful though, ya'll should look it up. It was actually funded by the members in the area, which I thought was cool. 

This week has been so full, I hardly know where to begin telling about it. I am currently in San Clemente and am serving in two wards! The members here are so awesome, they do so much missionary work. Yesterday we had a member bring her friend to church and then we taught her the Restoration lesson in 2nd hour and she said she wants to know what she has to do to be baptized! Amazing, absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, that kind of thing only happens every once in a while. My trainer says it's beginners luck ;) hah! But this week has taught me a lot about how people definitely have their agency, and if they're ready to listen, they will. One of my favorite things has been getting to talk to everyone we see on the street. I thought that I disliked talking to people in general, but being a missionary has totally changed that for me. Before I didn't see them as children of God, but now that's the first thing I see when I look at them. And it changes how you treat people too.

My trainer's name is Sister Aebischer, and she knows the Reichman family that lives in Williston, which is crazy!! (Tender mercies of the Lord, you guys. Seriously.) She's super fun and very kind and really really good at talking to anyone. This area of California is really wealthy, so everyone pretty much lives in a mansion ( or at least what I think of as a mansion). But none of the people I've met so far have been snobs, which is pleasantly surprising. They give us food all the time and make sure that we have medicine when we're sick. They are constantly looking out for us, and I am so grateful to be around such kind, Christ-like examples. I was sick when I left the MTC and I'm still getting over it, so I couldn't smell for the longest time or taste stuff, but now I can do both and I didn't realize how much I missed those two things! I guess we take for granted a lot of the every day abilities we have like tasting and smelling and seeing and walking. Being sick definitely humbles you and makes you grateful for when you aren't sick ;) 

I thank God every day that He has allowed me to help in His work, and now I'm even more grateful that I get to do it in such a magnificent place as this. I get to speak about how much I love Jesus Christ every day, and what He has done for me in my life. I get to share with people that their families can be together forever, and that we have the Book of Mormon to help us live our lives in peace and joy when we do what . What a blessing to be reminded of all Christ has done this Christmas season. Don't let a day go by without acknowledging the gifts he's given us, and use them :) 
 
Don't be afraid to share how you feel about Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father, because everyone needs them and needs the knowledge we have. Take Care, and have a wonderful Christmas remembering Christ! 

Sincerely,

Sister Torkildson


https://drive.google.com/a/myldsmail.net/file/d/0B66lS5WiL5EEcmhrQ3RuOTdFTkNiSjU3Ymh0X0FObEJBVkJj/view?usp=drive_web 



My Dear Sister Torkildson;
It’s so good to read of your upbeat spirit and testimony. I’m so happy you are prospering in your missionary work. But I’m going to be hard on you, now and in the future, about your emails -- because I want them to become more informative and less general. Someday you’ll thank me, I hope, for nagging you into becoming a really good writer.

Let’s start with this phrase in your letter:  “This area of California is really wealthy, so everyone pretty much lives in a mansion . . . “

This is a general statement, which is not too informative or interesting. Things you could have written to expand on this are: why are they so wealthy? (speculation is always acceptable) Where does their wealth come from? Inherited? Silicon Valley? Crime?  Enough on that: describe some details of these mansions -- gated? Swimming pool? What kind of wall to keep the poor people out? How about condos, any of those around? I’ll never get to see a mansion in San Clemente, so the more detail you can pour on the better I like it. What kind of cars do rich people drive? To church? Are there special stores catering to the rich in your area? What are the names of local restaurants -- that can give a real insight into their character.

Okay, let’s move on:  “They give us food all the time . . .”

Describe the kind of food you’re given, por favor. Salads? Meats? Bread? Rice? Pasta? Fruit? Cake? Ethnic stuff like fried rice or curry or corned beef or crazy things like eel grass and durian? A simple declarative sentence would be fine -- “brother and sister so-and-so gave us a lunch of calamari in marinara sauce, with an artichoke salad, and coconut water to drink; for dessert they served rambutan stuffed with pineapple.”
It takes very little effort to fall into the habit of noting specifics about your surroundings, your food, and the people you interact with. What shade of lipstick does Sister Aebischer wear? What’s her favorite outfit, or color? When you start with specifics, Daisy, you can then make much more interesting generalizations and observations.

But don’t think I am disappointed in your writing! Not in the least; you put real passion and expression into your sentences -- that’s why I’m taking the time to push you to write better; because I know you really can!

Much love, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment