Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Restaurant Review: Bam Bam's BBQ. Orem, Utah.



I've passed this place on State Street dozens of times since moving back to Happy Valley four years ago. But since I'd eaten at some of the best BBQ joints in southern Virginia prior to my arrival, I felt not urgent need to dig into the smoked meats again. But today my daughter Sarah took me to the Walgreen's for some orthopedic supplies I need for my chronic plantar fasciitis, so in return I offered her a free lunch anywhere she wanted. She wanted meat, and lots of it -- so we wound up here.





I ordered us a half pound of brisket, a pound of ribs, a sausage link, and sides of beans, potato salad, and mac & cheese. We drank water. Total cost:  $34.97. Sarah left the tip -- she used to be a waitress, so she likes to leave a generous gratuity.




Now you may hear a lot of flummery about the best way to eat BBQ -- but I'm here to tell you that there is only ONE way to eat it right, and that is with the meat in one hand and a slice of white bread covered with raw onion and dill pickles chips in the other. Take a bite of meat,and then a bite of the open faced sandwich, and then repeat. Until full. Or dead -- whichever comes first.


My grand son Lance spurned everything but a slice of white bread, on which he vainly attempted to spread a pat of frozen butter. By the time he gave up, the bread was smooshed beyond recognition and the butter had fallen on the floor.



The sausage was disappointing; very gristly. The brisket was fine. And the ribs were to die for. I recommend the dark red bbq sauce on the tables -- rich and sweet. The other kinds on offer are thin and vinegary. This place gets 4 Burps. Just stay away from the sausage and you'll do fine. But eating on a picnic table does not count as Fine Dining, so don't bring your wife here for your anniversary.



Money spent on eating out with family is a better investment than Bitcoin or Wall Street.



No comments:

Post a Comment