Sunday, December 10, 2017

Letter from my Missionary Daughter



Hi everybody!!

I'm super excited, because this week I get to leave for California!! I'll be heading out on Tuesday in the morning, and will get to call my family before I go, so I'm extra excited for that :)

It hasn't quite hit me that I'll be leaving the MTC... I haven't packed any of my stuff, but that's okay because it's apparently tradition to pack an hour before you leave ;) Just kidding, but I am sort of in denial. Only a few of the people in my district are going to Irvine with me, and the rest are going to Reno and San Diego. It's going to be hard separating from my second family, but the Lord's work must go on, and I'm really really excited to be able to get to help. 

This week probably the most important thing I've learned is a lesson in humility and listening. I thought initially that I was a good listener; but when I think about it now, I'm pretty sure I was just good at being silent and not necessarily listening to what others have to say. We were in a lesson with an investigator, and I thought that it had gone well...or at least not terrible. We talked about the restoration of the church through Joseph Smith, and his experience of the First Vision. That's kind of what we had planned in the first place, but I think I was more talking AT the investigator than listening TO them and what needs they had. So anyway, we finished and I felt pretty okay with what we had talked about. Also, every time we have a lesson, the investigator fills out a survey, then we fill out that same survey, but from their perspective, then we compare the two. When we got the survey back, it said that the investigator had felt uncomfortable, bored, and talked at. I felt angry at myself for being so clueless, because I had absolutely NO IDEA that she had felt that way in the lesson! I got really down on myself and I couldn't think about anything else but how I had messed up so bad. My companion tried to comfort me in her way, but I just kind of shut down and wouldn't talk. It came time for us to head to class, so we got up and headed to our room. I started to feel better as I focused on the gospel and not myself. I also realized that I am NOT a perfect teacher and I don't know everything and that that's okay. Then I got an email from a friend and that really helped to pick myself back up and go on. Just knowing that I had somebody out there who had felt as I had, was really comforting and felt like home. That was such a tender mercy from the Lord to me. On our next lesson with that particular investigator, I really tried hard to listen better and I learned a lot more about how she felt about God and her purpose in life. It was our last lesson with our MTC practice investigators, which is bitter-sweet. I loved getting to know these investigators and their concerns, but I am way excited to get out to California and get to know the people there and help bring them the gospel of Jesus Christ!
I don't have much time left, but I just want to let you all know how much it means to me to have a support system and to know that you all are still out there, alive and happy. Already the mission is hard, but it's been the best thing I've done in my life so far and I would not trade it for anything. 
Until next week, take care!

Sincerely,

Sister Torkildson


****************************************************


Dear Sister Torkildson;
I hope you are not going to be near any of those terrible brush fires that seem to be burning up half the state of California lately! Please address this issue in your next email, K?
Here are my latest Book of Mormon poems. I thought you might enjoy them:



". . . and became the devil, to rise no more."

to rise no more, the devil schemes
to take away all mankind's dreams.
the chains he carries evermore
he puts on us so we can't soar.
to soar above the bitter plain,
to leap beyond all present pain --
the Savior only this can give
if for him, by him, I will live! 


“Now, the Lamanites knew nothing concerning the Lord, nor the strength of the Lord, therefore they depended upon their own strength.”


Dependent on their own physique, the Lamanites did fail
To slay the Nephite armies and were forced to soon turn tail.
For when the saints are righteous and the Lord of Hosts responds,
No flesh and blood can ever send free people into bonds.

And from last General Conference:

Ian S. Arden

When thirsty I am not inclined some sour milk to drink,
Nor do I want a rotten piece of meat with all its stink.
I prefer a wholesome, fresh, and pure bit of cuisine
To provide good health and strength and keep my judgement keen.

And so my spirit hungers for the perfect word of God --
Not some caustic bilge that comes from crackpot or from fraud.
The fruit that I am after does not grow on poisoned trees,
No matter what the world may say my caution to appease.


Love, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment