Friday, August 18, 2017

And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.



How to seek, and where to find, the better things apart
From worldly satisfaction and an overweening heart?
My lights have led me deeper into desiccated mood.
My self-made shield protects me not against life’s blows so shrewd.
The melting tide of folly leaves me stranded and alone.
An existential chill has settled into flesh and bone.
The better world has beckoned, where the angels tread so soft --
I’ve yearned to throw away my dross and follow them aloft.
What holds me back, why hesitate, when mercy and relief
Are offered me so freely without great price or grief?
No longer will I tarry with the trivial or great --
No longer does the glitter of the world seem so ornate . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment