Sunday, August 27, 2017

Only a part



“And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.”


There was a time when tyranny and want had fled the land.
When ev’ryone was equal and did lend unstinting hand.

I groan sometimes to think that I have missed that happy place;
Born too late into a world that lacks both soul and grace.

I have yearned for gentle things; for thoughtful reverie --
For fruitful commerce, discourse mild, and peace spread like the sea.

Yet when I fall upon my knees to pray for sweet release,
The spirit murmurs that instead I use some elbow grease --

To work and strain to bring to pass millennial harmony
Within myself, and then leave God the world to oversee.

His watchcare never falters, and I only see a part

Of His boundless mercy and His everlasting heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment