Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Libraries of my Youth



While other little boys daydreamed of pirates and space ships
I was at the library to look up words like ‘thrips.’
There was no internet back when the president was Ike --
If I needed info, to the books I’d have to hike.
But it was not a chore to me -- more like vacation time,
Sampling some H.G. Wells or Ogden Nash’s rhyme.
I’ve never lost my taste for books, although as a curator
I’d certainly be classified as just a second-rater.
I’ve got ‘em scattered o’er the floor and on the window sill;
They’re underneath the bed (and I have found one on the grill!)
As the years crowd round me, I take joy in any tome
That lets my body stay at rest yet gives my mind a roam.
If transmigration of the soul were not too much sectarian,

I’d love to come back as a full-time practicing librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment