Thursday, August 31, 2017

My Supermarket




A supermarket is a place of wonder to this guy.
Although the prices there continue reaching for the sky.
I’m not a big consumer of organic or free range --
Rather, I just like to see what’s au courant and strange.

Edamame beans now come in cans and frozen packs.
They look about as toothsome as a can of green Ajax.
Hormel still offers pigs feet in a bottle of clear brine --
King Oscar and his sardines on the shelf still do repine.

Varieties of cheeses have now multiplied ten-fold.
(But nobody has Limburger like in the days of old.)
Strolling down the aisles, I might get lost in reverie
at Morton’s Salt now boasting of its fresh impurity.

Don’t tell the doc I’m stocking up on frozen pizza, please.
Or that I’m buying pickled beets and bagels and cream cheese.
My eating habits are obscene, according to my kids --

But supermarkets ain’t a place to use the word ‘forbids!’

No comments:

Post a Comment