Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Prose Poem: Food Insecure.

 





I've been food insecure all my life.
But it didn't get really bad
until last March.
That's when my magic breadbox 
stopped working.

Up until then
all I had to do was
wish for a meal or
food item and it would magically
appear in front of me.
Kinda like those replicator
thingies in Start Trek.
Except mine was magic;
it was given to me by a 
troupe of elves
on their way to a Yankees
baseball game long ago.

After the calamity 
I felt so food insecure
that I regressed into the 
state of an amoeba.
I mean literally -- 
I became a one-celled organism.
Somehow I managed to land
on a head of iceberg lettuce
in a school cafeteria,
and a heroic lunch lady,
exclaiming "What in the world
is this piece of yuck doing on 
the sandwich lettuce -- don't
they wash this stuff no more?" 
gently removed me with a paper
towel and set me in a petri
dish.
Where I prospered so well
that I turned back into a human
being.
And I married that lunch lady.
Her name is Ruthie.
She makes me spaghetti 
with Hormel chili whenever I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment