Sunday, July 2, 2017

Photo Essay: Where I Live

Where I live is at Valley Villas Senior Housing -- 650 West 100 North -- in Provo, Utah. I have been here for about 2 years. Before living here I stayed in a friend's unheated basement storage room. The building is owned and run by the Provo City Housing Authority. Rent is based on income. I pay $249.00 a month, which includes $25 a month for cable, which I don't use but have to pay anyway. Utilities are free. The place was built in 1995.

                                           You need a key to get inside the building itself.

I spend most of my time in this recliner in my living room -- I'm in it right now, putting this photo essay together. Before I was able to get a bed, this is where I slept at night as well.


                                               I'm on the ground floor, apartment 115


This is my patio -- regulations only allow 2 chairs outside


This is the view from my patio


My bedroom


My bathroom



My kitchen



My storage closet


My laundry room. Washers are $1.00. Dryers are 50 cents.




The main lobby


The community room, where we have a brief LDS Sacrament Meeting each Sunday



The garbage chute is on the third floor


The third floor also has a computer room, installed by Google. But the computers keep getting ripped out. Right now we're down to two.



I'm grateful for my little apartment. When I was raising a family I bought houses in North Dakota, Kansas, and finally Minneapolis. But I guess I'll never own a home again. Or live in a motor home or on a train again, like I did with the circus. Or rent a three bedroom bungalow with my beautiful partner in Thailand again. This place is as final as it gets, for me. I'm thinking this will be my home until I am called Home.



No comments:

Post a Comment