Sunday, July 30, 2017

The New York Times Mail Art Project. Tribute to Winston Churchill.

I found an old magazine full of black and white photos of Winston Churchill, which decided me on a mail art tribute to the old bulldog. I can’t put my finger on why, but I think Churchill is due to make a comeback -- although he has never really left the stage; books about him, his wife, his kids, his debts, his diplomacy, and probably his fleas, have been coming off the press steadily ever since the First World War. He was his own best publicist. But something about him is going to reverberate through this century that will leave his contemporaries like FDR and Stalin in the shade. Maybe his pluckiness? His humor? His hard drinking? I dunno. Churchill has always resonated with me, personally. I think the old boy will resonate equally with the recipients of these mail art pieces . . .









No comments:

Post a Comment