Monday, July 3, 2017

Restaurant Review: Sonic, on State Street in Provo

The ubiquitous Sonic is beyond the ken of critics, just like McDonald's and KFC. There's nothing to write about the food itself, only the experience of dining there. Whether this kind of food is poisonous or neutral is a debate that will not become morally clear for perhaps another century. By then we may very well be wishing for the 'good old days' when a cheap burger and crispy french fries were available at all.

I never see any beat up old jalopies at the Sonic drive through window -- either trailer trash can't afford eating there, or it's primarily one of middle class America's most endemic vices.


To me, the sheer volume of menu choices is daunting. I become indecisive, terrified that if I order one good thing to eat I'm going to miss out on another equally good or better item. Sometimes I dream of winning the Lotto and then coming here with all my friends and ordering every stinking thing on the menu, so I can sample it and my pals can clean it up after me.


Of course at Sonic if you don't have a car you dine al fresco


Just push the big red button and place your order. I ordered the Breakfast Burrito Supreme, with a limeade.


Here comes my order now. It only took 'em 7 minutes


Not too shabby.


Can someone explain to me what 'old fashioned' means in this context? I mean fry sauce has only been around for, what, less than twenty years?


Hey look! I get a mint in my bag. That's classy.



If you look closely you'll see I had 76 cents in change -- but I paid with my debit card. So what gives? I didn't get no stinkin' change. This is flummery!


When Utah votes for a 15 dollar minimum wage I'll go to work at Sonic



No comments:

Post a Comment