Friday, July 21, 2017

The New York Times Mail Art Project. Part Three.

My indoor workshop for collage, where I also eat cherries




When the mail art mania becomes truly ungovernable, and I need a quick fix, I use collage. It's fast, less messy than paint, and answers some despicable primal need I have to cut up books and magazines. The reporters I have been sending these mail art pieces to have, for the most part, remained commendably silent about the whole thing. I notify them by email and Twitter. Then I drop their mail art pieces into the nearest mail box.
I also confess that in Part Two of this series I created a faux journalist -- Rob Reed, of the so-called Island Ink newspaper in Hawaii. There is such a person as Rob Reed, an old friend and LDS missionary colleague -- but he is a computer programmer, not a reporter. 
To reiterate the purpose of this Mail Art Project -- to explore the connection between media and mail art -- and to explore the impact of sending participants their mail art via the Internet before they get it in the mail. 













No comments:

Post a Comment