Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The New York Times Mail Art Project. Part Two.

My patio workshop. Looks like a meth lab.


My mail art project is now in its second day, and already I'm becoming obsessed with it. Mail art started out as a way for artists to send each other their work for enjoyment and constructive criticism. But I'm sending my mail art to writers who didn't request it and probably have no interest in it. Plus, I am mass producing my mail art -- doing three or four at a time. You'll get a whiff of the assembly line as you look at the following. Can there be such a thing as assembly line mail art? When does art cease to be art and become schlock? A means to an end, instead of it's own justification? This troubles me, but as I say -- I've become obsessed with it. Can there be any art if there is no obsession?



























No comments:

Post a Comment