Sunday, November 29, 2020

#givethanks Expressions of my personal gratitude.

 


Here is a compilation of my posts this past week on social media with the hashtag #givethanks:



Most of my children have married and decided to have children of their own; I'm grateful for their courage and faith in starting families in a world that seems so uncertain and dark. And, of course, I'm just crazy-mad delighted to have grandchildren to spoil!


I will forever be grateful to my first radio boss, Oscar Halvorson. He took a big chance and hired me wet behind the ears to do the news at KGCX in Williston ND back in 1979. A farmer at heart, he once told me he won title to the radio station in a poker game.


As the sunset lights up the mountains in my backyard, I give thanks that because of the Savior my own personal sunset, whenever it may come, promises to be peaceful & happy, no matter how the world spins out of control.



Kevin Bickford: We started together as first of Mays at Ringling just about fifty years ago, and though he's gone I still think of his goofy sweetness and steady kindness to me and many others over the long and harried years. He proved it’s impossible to be generous to a fault.  Roofus T. Goofus, I'm thankful to have been a part of your jeweled society.



I grew up with long, cold, unforgiving winters in Minnesota; so now my old bones are grateful indeed for the mild winters here in Provo -- where I can wear sandals year-round!



For many years, when I worked as a clown on mud shows, I slept in the back of trucks or vans -- so I am truly thankful to have a soft, clean, warm, comfortable bed of my own to sleep in tonight. I still think of it as an unbelievable luxury sometimes. 



Thanks be to God for the abundance and variety of food in our rich and blessed country!



Thank you, Sun,

for sometimes hiding

your raw power

While still revealing your

Beauty.



Thank you, Mountain,

for being you --

and letting me

Be me. 

 

I am thankful for my old friends who have reached out to me through social media in the past few years. Renewing acquaintanceships with them is a sweet sweet blessing (except when they're trying to sell me something!)

 

 

I'm grateful to have been able to make so many free meals for my friends and neighbors here at Valley Villa for the past 7 months -- it was fun and flavorful!

 

 

Since I don't drive anymore, I am most grateful for friends and family members who give me rides to the doctor and the market, and sometimes just take me out for a spin to get some fresh air. God bless you all!

 

 

I have lived abroad, in places where I couldn't drink the tap water for fear of disease or poisoning. I am so grateful today to live here in a city of abundant and clean tap water. Bottoms up!

 

 

My monthly Social Security check allows me to live with comfort and dignity. I'm thankful for the wise and compassionate leaders who founded this program nearly a century ago.

 

 

I'm thankful for my inexpensive generic prescriptions that keep me functioning on a daily basis, and for the doctors who minister to me. I feel very blessed to be in the hands of competent medical practitioners, and not deluded quacks.

 

 

As a harum-scarum young man my life was transformed by the friendship and example of Tim Holst, who introduced me to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thank God for his compelling testimony and quiet courage; I owe him everything! I never had a better friend.

 

 

I love reading, but my poor old eyes begin to dwindle, so I am profoundly grateful for my Kindle; it allows me still to roam the Elysian Fields of literature where I am always welcome.

 

 

I am thankful for the amazing view from my patio each day. I grew up in the flat Midwest, so this mountain vista graces my later days with a strength and beauty I drink in like nectar.

 

 

 

I am most grateful for my journalist friends who take a moment from time to time to tell me they enjoy my light topical verses. It makes me feel I'm serving a useful purpose here on Earth.

 

 

Dumped in a homeless shelter 7 years ago, I knew a despair deeper than any mine shaft. When a friend heard of my predicament he straightaway invited me to live with him here in Provo. My gratitude to him is endless.

 

 

I'm grateful for the homely aroma and comforting warmth of clean laundry fresh out of the dryer. (For the folding, not so much!)

 

 

After the divorce I was estranged from my children for many years. But tonight I'm having my youngest child Daisy over for slow cooker pork roast and veggies. How grateful I am to be getting to know them again!

 

 

The more I read the Book of Mormon the more I come to appreciate its beauty and utility. It would be impossible for me to live a happy life today without its precepts. Thanks be to God for such scripture!

 

 

I'm so grateful for the Provo City Housing Authority; they have provided me with subsidized housing that is clean, safe, and comfortable. Without their help I'd be homeless!  God bless them.

 

 

As a young man I was given the privilege of serving as a missionary for two years for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Kingdom of Thailand. I was blessed with the society of a beautiful and affectionate people, who it was an honor to serve. I may live in Utah now, but part of me is always going to stay in "The Land of Ten Thousand Smiles.”

 

 

My parents were not religious, but they both worked hard to give me a stable home, good food, and warm clothes. I'm grateful for their unwavering watchcare. 

 

 

As a young man I worked for Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus as a clown. What a great privilege and blessing it was to be paid to make people laugh! I associated with people whose zest for humor was unparalleled. I always remember those days of slapstick and greasepaint with gratitude and wonder.



I lost my son Irvin to diabetes. I'm so grateful my mourning is tempered by the gift of eternal life for all of us that stems from Jesus Christ. Because of the Savior I know I can take my little boy in my arms again after this present life is done. I await that day with joy.


Inspired by President Russell M. Nelson's video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51gcWCs-Ho 


No comments:

Post a Comment