Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Unauthorized Autobiography of Me. Section Three.

 

I managed to escape my captors in a hot air balloon over the Jamoke Mountains.


"Tork! What a team we were!"

Steve Smith, former Dean of
Ringling Clown College
and gag man for Chuck Jones.


Radio meant something when I was a kid.
It had gravitas and credibility.
I remember this advertising slogan:
"We are closed on Sunday."
"We prefer to see you in church."
There were two popcorn balls on WCCO,
who laughed at their own jokes.
They were like crazy uncles
in the morning while I ate
my cereal.
I worked with them on their show
in 1973 while doing advance work
for Ringling with my partner
Steve Smith. 
They showed me a parody of a
Time Magazine cover with Governor
Wendell Anderson --
instead of holding up a walleye
he was holding up a Playboy 
centerfold.
Huh. Back then
people thought clowns were
dirty-minded and drunk.
Too bad most of them were.

I am often called "the salt of the earth."


If my work, my autobiography,
my meanderous prose,
is a smell to you
instead of an aroma,
all I can say is:
Enjoy the ride or get off.





The rotary phone hung on 
the kitchen wall.
It was yellow.
Our phone number was
612-331-7441.
Long distance calls
were so expensive
said my mother
that I never made one
until I left home to
join the circus.
No one rang you before
9 a.m.
or after 8 p.m.
Unless a family member 
had died in a zeppelin explosion.
There was no such thing
as telemarketing.
A stranger on the other end
meant nothing but trouble.
To emphasize this distrust
of strangers
we watched a TV episode
at grade school that featured
a hand puppet chanting in
a high shrieky voice:
"Danger! Stranger!"
The telephone cord
was so curly
that Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis
made sight gags out of
getting tangled up in them.
I took a rotary phone apart
when I was six
with a screwdriver
and a pair of pliers.
I found it in a trash can
in our clinker paved alley.
I wanted the bell
which I kept in a green
cardboard box along with
the bellows from a cuckoo clock
a rabbit's foot dyed purple
a stainless steel ball bearing I winkled
out of a can of spray paint
steel pennies from World War Two
that I swiped from my brother Billy
an empty bottle of Sloan's Liniment
an empty snow globe
(I believed the water inside of a snow globe
had some kind of magical power to grant
wishes if it were drunk. It didn't.)
a set of keys, origin and purpose unknown,
and a plastic siren whistle from a box
of Cracker Jacks.
The telephone bell had a sharp enough rim
that I cut myself on it.
So Ma Bell got her revenge on me
for vivisecting one of her children.


As a young man I partnered with Igor Sikorsky to market
the first gyrocopter, but it never got off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment