Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Unauthorized Autobiography of Me. Section Two.

 

Riots broke out when I lost the election.

"Seems like a good hobby, and nice for us journlists! I suspect you could help some of the journalists cut down their longer ramblings to more focused pieces..."
James Mackintosh. Senior Columnist, Markets. Wall Street Journal.



I walked home from
Tuttle Grade School
every day for lunch.
Less than a block.
That seemed normal to me;
and when I got to high school
and everyone else got hot 
cafeteria food, and I got
a summer sausage sandwich
and an apple in a wrinkled
brown paper bag
from my mom,
that, too, seemed normal to me.

Food was no big deal to me
as a kid.
I was skinny, with a long nose.
I looked like the number '1'.
Now I weigh over 320 pounds.
What happened?
What the hell happened?

Dad was always fat.
Mom was always thin.
They both smoked like chimneys.
My sisters starved themselves
to stay thin.
As long as I did hard physical work
with the circus, and walked and
bicycled everywhere, I could 
eat like a pig and never gain
an ounce.
Once I learned to drive
and got a car
after I was married
 my weight
began to climb, and has never come
down except once.
I'm gonna have a can
of oysters on a bed of
lettuce and cucumbers
for lunch today. 
With Italian dressing.
And flat bread.
I tell myself I'm drinking ice water.
But there's Shasta in the fridge
and I'll drink that.

Milk. Ice cold milk.
Whole milk.
Kids were supposed to drown 
in milk sixty years ago.
I drank mine with Nestle Quik
when I could get it.
Two full glasses each meal.
That was standard procedure.
My bones must be 
so indestructible 
that they will outlast the planet
and float off into outer space.

Grilled steak over real charcoal.
The grill lit using Wizard Charcoal Lighter,
with that terribly disfigured man 
on the label --
a monster, really.
He must have burned himself
while lighting the grill.
A marshmallow
impaled on a willow branch
 set on fire
over the dying coals
tasted of ashes and vanilla.

The backyard. Childhood 
summers so hot
the street asphalt turned to Silly Putty.
I chewed little balls of it
I pinched out of the road myself.
Then a paper plate.
Spilled hamburger and pickle
juice on the dark green lawn
as the sun hid behind Wayne
Matsuura's house.
In the dark I hefted a
marshmallow torch
to keep the plunging 
bats at bay.
Watch out -- it'll get in your hair!
I could believe in vampires
on summer nights long ago.



In Canada I'm known as 'loup-garou.'


No comments:

Post a Comment