Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The chair.

 





They finally took my chair away today.

Now I have nowhere to sit.

First they came to take away 

my pots and pans.

Then they came back for the TV.

Then the vacuum cleaner.

The couch was next.

And then, inevitably, my bed.

But they left the chair until last.

It was a good sturdy chair.

All wood.

Painted and varnished.

I swiped it from a laundromat.

So now I'm standing on my bare floor.

At least they left me my shoes.

And the kind lady down at the mission

gave me half a dozen pairs

of wool socks.

So winter won't be so bad.

But what I'd really like to have --

the thing that would make up for

the terrible loss of all my possessions --

an unfair and completely unnecessary action,

by the way,

that is due to mismanagement 

on the part of my agent,

what I'd really like to possess

is a map of Antarctica.

I think

a map of Antarctica 

would motivate me

to move out of myself

and into a nicer neighborhood --

one where everyone

kept oyster crackers

on hand

for unexpected company.  


No comments:

Post a Comment