Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Unauthorized Autobiography of Me. Section Four.

 


"Helluva tale. Sounds like the kind of mystery and mischief I was drawn to as a 9 y/o"

Christopher Mele.  Senior Staff Editor, New York Times. 


A brigade of large elm trees

stands at attention along 19th Avenue Southeast.

They are my trees.

I have a right to them.

They give me bark 

to stack miniature rustic cabins with.

They whisper raspy nonsense to me

in the long summer breeze.

In winter their austere pattern

of branches against the slate sky

forms a blank bleak stained glass window.

Black carpenter ants busy themselves

crawling endlessly up and down their

trunks on business so important they

do not stop to succor a

fellow ant when I incinerate

it with my magnifying glass.

Dried elm leaves smell like mummies in

a hayloft.

Rain dropped and filtered

 through elm leaves

tastes of melancholy.

Baby robins fall from their

elm tree nests in the spring

to leer at me with the grotesque

mask of death. Their huge

black eyes shut,

never to open.

The elms have devious roots

that upset the sidewalk slabs

rendering my roller skates useless.

Harshly the smoke of fallen elm leaves

burning on my front lawn

snakes through the neighborhood

snakes around the elm trunks

erasing homes, cars, people --

isolating me in a smothered silence

like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Out of this spectral fog

leaps Wayne Matsuura

to push me into a red currant bush,

yelling "Gotcha!" 

Bleeding red currant juice

I curse him with childish fervor:

"You dopehead! You scared a brownie

out of me!"

Laughing uproariously

we scuffle in the ash of elm leaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment