Saturday, March 16, 2019

Daily Diary. 03/16/2019

SATURDAY.

had an extraordinary burst of energy when I woke up this morning at 530, so I walked to the Rec Center and soaked in the hot tub and did laps in the shallow pool. 

I've decided to do a postcard to the president five days a week from now on until . . . 
I figure if I live another ten years that's about 2400 postcards to the Chief Executive. My legacy to the nation.

wrote my B of M poem -- my scripture study now is to take one verse each day and use it as a foundation for a poem. Rob Reed asked me not to send him any more of them -- while he was initially happy to get them he now says they confuse him and make him upset, because he believes all religions are a sham and completely useless. 
but he did call me on Google Hangout this afternoon, wanting to know if I remembered anything about our tracting together when we were missionary companions, for his son Tom, who is staying with him. What I recalled was that Rob gave the longest prayers of anyone I was ever a companion with before we went out tracting each day. And since he was the Senior companion, he got to say the prayer every time pretty much. 

My friend Bruce Young said this about today's B of M poem:


I've almost caught up with reading your poems. As usual, this one has a great message and spirit. AS with other poems, you're following in the footsteps of great poets of the past. Here's a poem by one of my very favorite poets, George Herbert (you might actually like a few of his poems):

A broken ALTAR, Lord, thy servant rears, 
Made of a heart and cemented with tears; 
Whose parts are as thy hand did frame; 
No workman's tool hath touch'd the same. 
               A HEART alone 
               Is such a stone, 
               As nothing but 
               Thy pow'r doth cut. 
               Wherefore each part 
               Of my hard heart 
               Meets in this frame 
               ​To praise thy name. 
That if I chance to hold my peace, 
These stones to praise thee may not cease. 
Oh, let thy blessed SACRIFICE be mine, 
And sanctify this ALTAR to be thine. 


then I wrote a poem about the crazy gun laws in Brazil -- everyone is encouraged to own a gun. the writer of the article, Paulo, emailed me his reply, thus:


No comments:

Post a Comment