Sunday, March 31, 2019

I shall buy a manbag


While ready-to-wear clothes showcased on the runway dominate fashion headlines, accessories generate a third of all revenue from personal luxury goods. Handbags in particular boast some of the industry’s biggest profit margins since they are expensive but take up little space in boutiques. And unlike shoes, they don’t need to come in different sizes.
WSJ

I'm done with pockets
with holes that drop coins
with keys that poke my thighs
with chapstick stains
*
I shall buy
a manbag
and stuff my life
into it
*
then I will always have
Ricola cough drops
a roll of quarters
and a ham sandwich
*
hand tooled leather
brass zippers and snaps
a sturdy shoulder strap
with a built in herbarium
*
inevitably
I will leave it at
Carl's Jr one fine day
when the french fries call
*
but my dream bag
will by then 
have legs to walk home
like in Terry Pratchett's Discworld
*
an Italian manbag
is all I ask
out of a diminishing life
and a Hostess Twinkie
*

No comments:

Post a Comment