Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The Corpulent Customer


For people who identify as large, plus-size or fat, dining out can be a social and physical minefield. Chairs with arms or impossibly small seats leave marks and bruises. Meals are spent in pain, or filled with worry that a flimsy chair might collapse.
Deciding where to eat is a challenge. Diners often comb through endless photographs of restaurant food online, hoping someone has posted an image of the chairs or the space between tables.
NYT
I happen to be overweight; when I go out to eat
I never know ahead of time if I will fit the seat.
I avoid a booth because they're narrow as can be,
and often leave a welt across my prominent belly.
*
I'm used to chairs that do not hold my fundament too well,
and make me think I'm sitting on a cast iron barbell.
And bathrooms are another thing; why must they be so tight?
Getting in and out of 'em will take me half the night!
*
They give you tiny napkins when they ought to offer bibs;
I like to eat with gusto, whether salad or some ribs.
Do not presume to offer anything in "supersize" --
You'll get no tip from me if you should choose to so advise.
 ***********************************



No comments:

Post a Comment