Saturday, March 2, 2019

My Bucket List Has a Hole in It





While many still turn to the funeral rites that have comforted generations, others, led by baby boomers, are taking a different approach than their parents and grandparents. They are instead choosing individualized and symbolic memorials: a party with a punk-rock band for a tattoo artist, or a gathering at an airport hangar for the devoted mechanic.
WSJ

Bury me not on the lone savanna,
with just my spurs and red bandana.
I've lived a life of frittered fun
and want my journey well-begun.
*
My journey to that higher place
(or lower, maybe, in disgrace)
should start with root beer floats, since I
have loved 'em since my youth so spry.
*
Instead of dirges or shrill chants
I hope they'll have a big square dance;
where fam'ly discord is forgot
and no one acts the rude big shot.
*
Don't praise me or lament my passing
(I know such talk is just pure gassing.)
But read a poem or two I wrote
to get somebody's pompous goat.
*
Pretend that I am sitting nigh,
and telling stories, partly lie.
Let cotton candy fill the pews
(to keep the kiddies from a snooze.)
*
No tears for me, but give a burp
as root beer floats you happy slurp.
Let no one sit in folding chair;
those things provoked me oft to swear.
*
You are my guests, so celebrate!
I'm free at last from mortal freight
and honeycomb and fish I'll broil
before you cover me with soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment