Monday, March 4, 2019

I Wrote a Book

Every book in the New York Public Library is handpicked by a seasoned corps of 16 selectors and helpers who are the gatekeepers to the library’s circulating collection of nearly 5 million books, 1.7 million e-books and 177,000 audiobooks.
These selectors have, at minimum, a master’s degree in library science and a love of reading. They scour thousands of titles so borrowers don’t have to. From inside a squat, brick building in Long Island City, Queens, they are “fighting for good books,” said Michael Santangelo, the deputy director of collection management.
NYT

I wrote a book, a lovely book, a book for all mankind.
It should be read by ev'ryone -- cuz it will blow their mind.
I placed it here, I placed it there -- a hundred copies, so;
America must understand my genius is not slow.
But then an awful thing occurred -- a library demurred;
they did not want my lovely book, no not a single word!
They said my book was rotten and not worth an onion peel.
They said it was redundant; a brobdingnagian spiel.
I bribed them with hard liquor; I offered cold hard cash.
I sent them sweets and flowers -- it didn't make a splash.
They had their chance at glory, they might as well admit
they'll be eating humble pie when my book is a hit.
I've sent it to the Mayor -- de Blasio will see
that my book is a marvel and is making history.
Who needs a dumb library? Why should I care at all?
In fact I now am ready an epic new to scrawl!

No comments:

Post a Comment